What should we do with a chipped/fractured tooth?
A chipped tooth might seem like a minor inconvenience, but addressing it promptly is crucial for maintaining your oral health and preserving the integrity of your smile. In this blog post, we will explore the importance of restoring a chipped tooth.
Initially our patient came to us because they noticed their front two teeth were chipped, they thought it was due to accidentally biting on a fork. They only noticed an issue when someone else pointed it out to them, and they felt embarrassed because of it.
This was our plan to restore the tooth to its original form.
And after the proper polishing protocol, we were able to restore both teeth to their natural shape, colour, and feel.
Another great benefit is there would be no freezing/numbing required (no injections, and no numb feeling for hours), and no sensitivity. There were only benefits here. The most impactful benefit for our patient was that they smiled more after the procedure, without feeling self-conscious. our goal is to restore the tooth to its original form, it requires a lot of patience, and being meticulous with the final polish to make sure we can deliver optimal results.
Let’s review the main benefits below:
1. Preventing Further Damage: The benefit of treating the thin, brittle enamel edge at this stage is to prevent further chipping of the edge – so instead of chipping more of the tooth, the bonding material would chip instead. There are microcracks that we don’t want to propagate, as they do not heal/seal on their own.
2. Restoring Functionality: A chipped tooth can affect your ability to bite, chew, and speak properly. How many times has your tongue kept playing with a new filling, crown, or otherwise? The same can happen when a tooth is chipped – the tongue won’t leave it alone! By filling the chipped area, a dentist can restore the natural feel and function. This ensures that you can resume normal function without discomfort or limitations, allowing you to maintain a balanced diet and proper nutrition.
3. Enhancing Aesthetics: Our smiles play a significant role in our self-confidence and how we present ourselves to the world. A chipped tooth can be a source of embarrassment and self-consciousness. By opting for a filling, you can restore the tooth’s natural appearance, ensuring a seamless blend with the rest of your teeth. This helps to boost your self-esteem and allows you to smile freely, without any concerns about the appearance of your teeth.
4. Preventing Tooth Sensitivity: Chipped teeth can be accompanied by tooth sensitivity, especially when exposed dentin is involved. Dentin contains tiny tubules that connect to the nerves of the tooth, making it more susceptible to sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures. A filling can provide insulation to these sensitive areas, reducing or eliminating discomfort and allowing you to enjoy your favourite hot or cold foods and beverages.
5. Cost-Effective Solution: Ignoring a chipped tooth may lead to more severe dental problems down the line, potentially requiring more extensive and expensive dental treatments, and the worst case scenario is a fracture that renders the tooth non-repairable. Addressing the issue early on with a filling can be a cost-effective solution, saving you from the potential need for more complex and costly procedures in the future.
A chipped tooth might not always hurt but by promptly addressing the issue, you can prevent further damage, restore functionality, enhance aesthetics, alleviate sensitivity, and save yourself from potential future complications. Don’t hesitate to consult your dentist and take the necessary steps to preserve your oral health and smile. We’re located at Arbo Dental Care Bradford and you’re always welcome to contact us for more information at 905-775-7377 and email@example.com
-Arbo Dental Care Team